Hero Dog Saves Family from Deadly Gas Leak


The Siekert family from Hartland, Wisconsin is crediting their dog Abby with saving their lives from a deadly carbon monoxide leak in their home.  After family members starting becoming “sick” and lethargic, Abby stepped in right on time, and no one was badly injured.

dogs

When Nicole Siekert woke up Thursday morning feeling under the weather, she took note of it, but pressed on with her day.  She got on with getting the kids ready for school, and keeping things on track.  However, for whatever reason, everyone just seemed to feel not quite right.

“We were all just kind of out of sorts when we woke up,” Siekert said.

The family knew their furnace was on the fritz, but they didn’t really think too much about it.  Siekert decided to lay down for a second, fearing the possible flu that could be on the way.  It didn’t take long for Abby to try to get her human mom’s attention, but she just couldn’t seem to grab it.

dogs1

“She just jumped up on the bed, and she was nudging me and pawing at me.  She took her head and lifted up my head with her nose,” Siekert said.

She got out of bed and went to let Abby outside, assuming that was what she wanted.  However, when they walked towards the door, the dog turned and walked downstairs and sat next to the furnace.  When Siekert went into the basement, she could clearly hear the carbon monoxide detector going off.  That’s when she put two and two together.

“It was like a flash,” said Siekert. “Everything just came together, and it made sense.”

Siekert then got her family to safety, and the furnace has since been fixed.  But none of that would have at all been possible with Abby, and her keen sense of hearing!  That makes Abby a hero in our book!

dogs2

+ There are no comments

Add yours