Woman’s two dogs die after eating poisonous mushrooms



A North Carolina woman is mourning the deaths of her two dog after they ate poisonous mushrooms in the backyard of their own home. Janna Joyner returned home on Sunday to find her three-year-old Saint Bernard, Drago, and her eight-year-old Labrador retriever, named Adoni, dead in the yard.

According to NewsKulr8, Janna stated her four other dogs also had symptoms of nausea, stumbling and vomiting. She rushed her dogs to her veterinarian who found traces of amatoxin, found in poisonous mushrooms. David Dorman, a professor at North Carolina State University of Veterinary Medicine stated mushrooms nicknamed “death cap” or death angel” can cause a dog to go from healthy to clinically ill within 24 to 48 hours. The mushrooms cause liver failure, and there is no antidote.


Joyner, who volunteers with a rescue group, is devastated. Her dogs were her family.

Experts admit it is extremely difficult to know which mushrooms are safe or are toxic. Anyone with pets should make sure there are no mushrooms of any kind in the yard. Be safe.

Did you know that if you want to get updates from a Facebook page, you need to do more than “like” it? To get recent postings in your Facebook feed, you must also hover your mouse over the word “following” and then click “see first” from the drop-down menu. You may want to check back with your favorite pages on occasion because Facebook often changes your settings, no longer having your having your favorites among those to “see first.

Follow the National Pet Rescue on Facebook.




+ There are no comments

Add yours